Local News

Children escape flames after accidentally setting Dawesville home on fire

Dawesville house fire. Photo: Tex Reeks.

Children have escaped unharmed after a home went up in flames south of Mandurah overnight.

Emergency services received reports flames were coming from the property on Albany Drive in Dawesville about 8:31pm.

Six firefighting appliances rushed to the scene including crews from Falcon, Mandurah and Rockingham to find the house well alight.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services said the cause of the blaze was accidental and was started by children playing with a lighter.

“It took firefighters 26 minutes to bring the fire under control,” DFES said.

Skeer News understands the children were home alone when the blaze started.

DFES has issued the following advise:

  • If a fire starts in your home, leave immediately and call 000
  • Never leave children unattended with candles, matches and lighters
  • do not re-enter a burning house under any circumstances.

Back to top button