Firefighters have rushed to a bushfire in Baldivis this afternoon.
It’s understood the blaze started from a car fire on the Kwinana Freeway near Karnup Road about 3:40pm.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services has issued a Bushfire Emergency Warning, the highest level, alert for people in the vicinity of Karnup Road, Young Road and Kwinana Freeway southbound in eastern parts of Baldivis.
DFES has stated people are in danger and need to act immediately to survive as there is a threat to lives and homes.
WHAT TO DO:
- It’s too late to leave, leaving now would be deadly.
- You need to shelter in your home in a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
- Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
- The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction.
- Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home.
For updates, visit emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: twitter.com/dfes_wa and Facebook: facebook.com/dfeswa.
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.