BreakingLocal News

Greenfields school evacuated after rooftop blaze

Students were forced to evacuate from a Greenfields college after a fire broke out on the roof of a building this afternoon.

Firefighters were called to Foundation Christian College on Lakes Road after reports an air conditioner had caught fire at 12:53pm.

Mandurah Fire and Rescue arrived to find the unit in flames and had the situation under control within ten minutes.

Foundation Christian College principal Neville Standway said students were on their lunch break when the “extraction fan” fire started.

“It could have got a lot worse if it got into the vents,” Mr Neville said.

“We do evacuation drills for this reason.”

He explained one staff member rang 000, while another notified the administration office before the trained fire wardens followed emergency procedure.

Mr Neville said there was no fire or smoke damage to any rooms.

“It just burnt up,” he said.

The principal said the air-conditioning units had recently been serviced.

“We will be doing an investigation,” Mr Neville explained.

He told Skeer Media staff had debriefed and reviewed procedure to see if any changes needed to be made.

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokeswomen said the blaze started as the result of an electrical fault.

Police were also deployed to the scene but were not required.

The college principal said he had informed parents of the situation and would like to thank the quick response of emergency services.

Tex Reeks

Freelance video journalist
Back to top button