Firefighters are battling an industrial building fire in Kwinana which is unleashing potentially toxic smoke in the area.
The blaze started at an industrial waste facility on Mason Road near Donaldson Road about 2:25am.
The building contains a mixture of products that are producing toxic fumes.
People in surrounding streets, especially to the north of the Mason Road and Donaldson Road intersection may be impacted by smoke.
More than 45 firefighters supported by The Department of Environment and Regulation Pollution Response Unit are working to contain and control the blaze.
St John Ambulance, police and City of Kwinana representatives are also on scene.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services have issued a General HAZMAT warning for those in the area, especially to those north of the Mason Road and Donaldson Road intersection which may be impacted by smoke.
As of 7:58am, DFES advises the following:
What to do:
• As a precautionary measure, people in the area should remain inside, out of the smoke or fumes, with doors and windows closed. Air conditioners should also be switched off.
• People should stay away from the area. If you are already in the area take advice from emergency services personnel.
• People with medical concerns should contact their local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
Road closures and conditions:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Mason Road is closed between James Court and Rockingham Road.
- Donaldson Road from the Leath Road intersection
• Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the City of Kwinana.
Keep up to date:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337)