Local News

Man who tried to swim from police allegedly involved in King Carnival break-in | Video

A man who tried to swim away from police in the Mandurah Estuary was charged after he was allegedly involved in an incident at King Carnival last Monday night.

Mandurah officers and detectives, along with Forensic Police scoured the estuary’s banks, near the city’s new bridge, as they tried to locate a man who had jumped into the water about 8:10pm.

Two men tried to flee from police after they were allegedly involved in a break-in at the park located on the western foreshore about 8pm.

King Carnival’s night watchman Aaron Woolcott said the man was one of two men involved in a vandalism incident at the amusement park that night.

“I dashed outside and saw the front window had been cracked with a piece of wood,” Mr Woolcott said.

“I then saw someone hiding in our mini-golf course.

“I went around the other side of the kiosk to bait him out.

“The perk came out of hiding and back around to give the window another crack as the alarm went into silent mode.”

Mr Woolcott further explained he approached the man with his dog and that’s when the offender told him he was with a drunk friend who had already fled.

“I had him sit on the ground before walking him to the front gates,” the watchman said.

“As soon as [the man] saw police, he legged it [but] before this, he said he had a drunk friend there as well.”

The watchman briefly spoke with the police and pointed them in the right direction before they pounced.

The smashed window at King Carnival. Photo : Supplied .

Mr Woolcott said they quickly arrested the offender he had dealt with but the other man was still on the run.

The other man was understood to have run toward the Mandurah Bridge, passed the city’s skate park, before he jumped into the water to allegedly swim away from police.

With the help of a local boat user and the use of torches, authorities were eventually able to track the man’s movements.

It wasn’t long before he swam to shore wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans.

Police arrested the man as he got out of the water along the eastern shoreline, south of the bridge.

Officers have charged two men, including a 20-year-old and a 43-year-old.

The pair are due to face the Mandurah Magistrates Court in November.

It’s the second incident at the park in just a two day period after a man allegedly punched a staff member in the face on October 22.

Its alleged a man forced entry into an arcade machine and stole cash when a female staff member approached him just before 5pm.

The man allegedly punched her in the head as he fled.

She sustained cuts to her face.

In a social media post, a user claims the man was with his partner and children at the time of the incident.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Tex Reeks

Freelance video journalist
Back to top button