Crime and CourtLocal News

Mandurah man fronts court accused of bashing two women and alleged attempts to shove man in car boot

A Mandurah man accused of beating two elderly women and attempting to shove a man in the boot of a car while on an alleged alcohol-fuelled crime spree has fronted court. 

Police alleged the 24-year-old Halls Head man was heavily-intoxicated when he began to drive a blue Holden Commodore on March 8 about 12:40pm, with the sedan’s owner a 39-year-old FIFO worker called Chad and a third man.

Mandurah Detective Senior Sergeant Trevor Troy told media on Monday that an investigation into the “association” between the three was ongoing and it was understood each man took turns driving throughout the night. 

Detectives alleged the Holden was driven to an IGA car park, near the intersection of Old Coast Road and Mary Street, when a confrontation broke out between two of the men. 

The confrontation resulted in chad falling to the ground and hitting his head on the bitumen. 

Detectives then alleged the Halls Head man tried to put Chad into the boot of his own car but dropped him several times during the attempt and allegedly injured his head further. 

At one stage, Chad made it back to his feet but the Commodore took off in an alleged “reckless” manner, according to Senior Sergeant Trevor Troy. 

Detectives said police received a phone call from witnesses who captured some of the incident on camera Senior Sergeant Troy explained. 

However, he said police didn’t attend the scene as Chad was thought to have left with the car and therefore, the report was treated as an abduction incident. 

It’s alleged the Holden Commodore then returned to Chad’s home on Doonda Street in Mandurah about 1:20am, without him. 

Chad’s mother, who lives across the road, noticed her son wasn’t in the car and allegedly approached the Halls Head man and another man with her next-door neighbour. 

It’s alleged one of the men began to yell at the two women, aged in their 60s, before both of them were allegedly hit in the head which caused them to fall unconscious. 

Investigators further allege one of the men then kicked the women while they were on the floor.

They were taken to Peel Health Campus with significant facial injuries and have since been discharged.

The two allegedly left Chad’s car on the front lawn before they got into a blue Nissan Tiida hatchback and left the scene. 

A short time later, it’s alleged the Halls Head man attended the 7/11 fuel station on Pinjarra Road and purchased cigarettes using a debit card belonging to Chad. 

It wasn’t until more than five hours later, staff members, starting work at nearby businesses, located Chad, unresponsive, on the ground with a head injury. 

He was taken to Peel Health Campus and then transferred to Royal Perth Hospital, with bleeding on the brain, where he has since undergone surgery. 

Police located the Nissan Tiida at a property in Halls Head where it’s understood the accused was arrested about 1:30pm on Sunday. 

Forensics and detectives spent the day probing multiple scenes.  

The Halls Heas man was remanded in custody after he appeared in the Perth Magistrates Court on Monday, charged with more than five offences including grievous bodily harm, stealing a motor vehicle, and aggravated assault.

Investigators are urging for anyone with information or who may have witnessed the incidents to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Back to top button