A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people near the intersection of Spencer Road and Nicholson Road in parts of Ferndale and Lynwood in the City of Canning.
Firefighters are actively defending properties in Bridgeway Avenue, Eastfield Court, Callahan Way, Camsell Way, Bergall Court and Nicholson Road between Metcalfe Road and the river..
- The alert level for this fire has been upgraded as the fire is travelling quickly.
- There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
- You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
- The fire started near the intersection of NICHOLSON RD and SPENCER RD in FERNDALE
What to do:
- If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now in a westerly direction if the way is clear.
- If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
- If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people south of the intersection of Spencer Road and Nicholson Road in parts of Langford in the CITY OF Gosnells.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near the intersection of NICHOLSON Road and SPENCER Road in FERNDALE
What to do:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
Road closures and conditions:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
- Nicholson Road both directions between Spencer Road and Albany Highway in Langford
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or contact the CITY OF CANNING or the CITY OF GOSNELLS.
Drones and arial support:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
Keep up to date:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or listen to news bulletins.