A woman has risked her life after she ran into a burning home to save more than five people in Mandurah on Friday.
About 9:15am, firefighters rushed to the suspicious blaze at a Cooper Street property after smoke was witnessed billowing from the roof.
Skeer Media understands up to eight homeless people were asleep in the house at the time.
Suzanne Garratt said she and her colleague ran inside the burning house to help.
“We both just ran into the house and started getting [everyone out],” she said.
“There were quite a few people and lots of bedding on the floor.
“Everybody was still asleep.
“We were banging and screaming at them.”
Ms Garratt further explained some of those inside the house tried to run back in.
“All of a sudden there was just flames everywhere and the people came running out,” she said.
“We just kept reminding them not to go back in because they wanted to get their stuff.
“They were bewildered.”
One homeless man, asleep inside the house at the time, David Sansoni told Skeer Media he paid a couple to stay sleep in a caravan in the backyard.
“I was asleep when someone shouted out ‘fire’ there was thick black smoke,” Mr Sansoni said.
“I just grabbed the dogs and what I could.
“I was cleaning it up for the owners, in a deal that I was vowed to get the house at the end of [it].”
He explained the couple who rented the home let him and other homeless people stay at the property for a price.
The couple then allegedly saved the money, meant to pay a percentage of the rent to the landlord, and fled to the eastern states.
Mr Sansoni said they left the place a mess so he made a deal with the homeowner.
The deal was that if Mr Sansoni cleaned up the property, he could rent and live at the home.
Police deemed the fire as suspicious and cordoned off the property as an investigation was conducted.
Those staying at the address were allowed to return several hours later to collect their belongings.
The homeowner, a man from Perth, was assessing the property on Friday afternoon.
He told Skeer Media the whole situation was just an “embarrassment”.
“You let people live here and they say they’re going to clean the place up and then this, a fire,” the homeowner said.
“The home is insured but look at how these people live, it’s embarrassing.”
The Department of Fire and Emergency Service estimate the damage to be more than $10,000 dollars.